-

5/20/13

When that little voice inside your head says "paint the bed"...you paint!



My parents gave us a King Sized Sleep Number adjustable mattress.  They decided they would be better off with another type of mattress and so they generously brought their sleep number up and delivered it to us.  Many thanks to my wonderful parents!  We also got brand new memory foam components from the Sleep Number company.

You have no idea how much we appreciate you and your generosity, Mom and Dad!!!

So here is how our Master bedroom looked on Friday night.  How's that for red and dated? (below)


We were so excited to be getting a dual adjustable bed, especially because Scott likes his bed FIRM and I like my bed SOFT.  Can you believe it?  On another note, it is our 13th wedding anniversary today!  And that's about how long we've had this knotty wooden bedroom set.  Actually, I think we bought it when I was pregnant with Alex so we would have room in our bed for Scott, Myself and my big belly!



Of course getting a new mattress fueled the fire to change our bedroom.  It was long overdue.  I've had the paint for months...many months.  Sometimes I get all 'painted out' for awhile.  But it was time for that decade old, dated red TO GO!  It sucked all the light out of our room.  Great for sleeping but not so good for anything else.  We needed calm and peaceful, BUT we also wanted light and cheerful.  And so I pulled out all the painting supplies and got busy Friday night after work painting the walls with my helper, Alex.  Best to get the walls painted while the old mattresses were off the bed and it would be easier to move, right?  So I pulled the bed out from the wall and got to painting.  But that little inner voice in my head just kept at me, saying "You know you want to paint the bed...you've wanted to for a long time."  And I knew it was true but darn, painting the entire room:  the walls, the trim, PLUS the bed, was a lot of work in one busy weekend!  And I really did not want to take that bed frame apart and carry it downstairs by myself while Scott was away at tennis championships.  NO WAY!  And the thought of not finishing and being left without a bed for any number of nights...NOT GOOD.  It is our anniversary today...did I mention that!?  ;)



But late Friday night while Alex was sleeping and Scott was away, that inner voice started whispering to me again..."Now's your chance!  There's no mattress in the way, you've cleared the room and you've already got all of the painting supplies up here."  And so I grabbed a little roller and started painting the bed with some white paint...right there in the middle of the night...in the middle of the room...



Turns out a bed CAN be painted right where it sits.  Some cardboard under each leg so I could paint all the way down without getting paint on the floor was all it took.  Being extra careful not to paint the carpet or anything else in the room was important.  I just went with white because that's what I had and I'm very happy with the decision.  Even Alex and Scott like the white.  Yes, those men that are forever teasing me that I paint EVERYTHING white, said they really like it.  And so do I.  It is a nice, subtle contrast with the soft blue/grey of the walls.  And I like that the wall color makes it feel like we are floating on a cloud.

And the bed can be set to the perfect firmness for Scott AND me.  We feel like we are in heaven!  Thanks again Mom & Dad.

There's still much left to be done in this room, but for now we are loving the changes and taking our time deciding what color to paint the other furniture in the room.  If we decide to paint it.  Although the changes feel pretty good.

We still have an end table...


A big dresser with a mirror...


And the secretary desk (that came from my sweet grandma) I use as a side table to possibly paint....


A few more details and we might have an entire room makeover to share.  I think I just wore myself out thinking about all the things that still need to be finished...shwew...it may be awhile now!  Haha.  Let's hope not.  :)

Thanks for stopping by today to see what we've been up to!

We love that you are here!  Please take the time to click on your favorite method to follow (on the sidebar or that little purple bar conveniently located at the bottom of the page).  THANKS!

16 comments :

  1. Wow! That bed looks beautiful. Wall look great, too, but the bed really stands out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous. I showed my husband who said it's beautiful ... and then he really looked at me and said, "NO!" I don't know what he means, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty, you brought tears to my eyes! When Scott and I got married he was all about the natural look of wood. I was very into dark stain. Both of our tastes have evolved immensely since then (we can only be thankful for that) but he has come to appreciate painted pieces and color and I have come to appreciate the natural elements (natural and worn woods, metal, stone) and it all mixes together to create a space that is light, eclectic and (hopefully) warm and inviting. Plus he now says he trusts my choices. It took YEARS of convincing!!!

      Delete
  3. LOL I've painted stuff in the dead of night, too. Sometimes you've just gotta paint!!!

    Your bed looks fabulous & I love the wall colour too.

    Happy decorating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Anne! I knew there were other midnight painters out there ;)

      Delete
  4. Looks great but I have a question: Why are those pants hanging on the wall?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Joy! I forgot all about those pants being in the picture until I went to create this post and realized I didn't have any pics without the pants! Those capris are a size smaller than I fit into right now and that was my reminder of what I'm trying to achieve. Had to take them down to paint though!

      Delete
  5. It looks wonderful! And I an confident the colors I have for the big chevron quilt will fit right in! Don't know if you will want to keep the chevron carpet though. Glad you are enjoying the bed. We sure like our new one! Love and hugs to you all. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the new, softer colors. It looks so restful and serene...like a master retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful job! Looks like it was always suppose to be that way. Glad you listened to the voice:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it Sherry!!! That's a lot of work, but so worth it. So clean and fresh looking. I liked your little helper too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sherry,
    I LOVE that bed painted!! Fantastic improvement... I feel like I can see the beautiful form without it being all I see in the room.. The wall color is wonderful too! Bravo!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the soft blue walls...of course, I am prejudiced. Every wall in my house is painted a similar soft blue. :) The bed painted white is just beautiful! Great job painting in the middle of the night.

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving the new colors. Painting the bed was definitely the way to go! So fresh and airy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the new wall color and the bed looks fantastic!! Thanks for stopping by Nicole B Vintage...I love your blog and I'm excited to connect with you. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete