-

5/8/13

Dangly Earring Storage & Display DIY


I sent my big jewelry box off to be photographed by Somerset Home awhile back in the hopes that I'll see one of my projects on the pages of a magazine someday.  That would be a dream come true for me!  Ever since then all my jewelry has been thrown together in a basket.  Not a convenient way to store jewelry, let me tell ya.

Whenever I tried to find earrings I couldn't seem to locate a matching pair.  So, not much earring wearing happening around here lately.   Something needed to be done and quick...


Then I remembered this little wooden house I had found at a thrift store eons ago.  I think it cost .50 cents.   It's a simple little shadow box made out of wood.  I've seen these at Michael's and Joann's for a few dollars, I think.  When I bought it I intended to put fun family photos in each section.  Wouldn't that be cute?  But now my wheels were turning about using it to display some of those dangly earrings that were getting all tangled together in a basket.

(FYI ~ Dangly isn't really a word but it's what I like to call my long dangling earrings like the ones below.)


So I painted my little shadow box house with white gloss spray paint.  I added some little metal loops that screwed into the wood pretty easily.  I screwed these in with my hands because the wood is fairly soft.  You could use small pliers for this step too.

Then I added some scrapbook/crafting decals to give this little house some personality.  Apparently some 80's personality since one of the stickers says "gonna dress you up in MY LOVE".
I did love that song waaaaaay back when!  :)


Just a couple of nails attach it to the wall next to where I get ready.  I might wear earrings every day now!


My dangly earrings have a new home and they are loving it.

Now what to do with all those post earrings...

Sharing With:

13 comments :

  1. This is adorable! My girls have been asking for cute jewelry storage (now it's strewn all over their dressers)! I will have to show them this!

    This also makes me want to wear fishnet gloves and sing like a virgin!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were the days Kelly! I hope your girls like the earring display. You could probably do something similar with any smallish shadow box. I may take the decals off and go for the less-is-more look eventually but they were fun to do.

      Delete
  2. This is darling. Super clever, and oh so useful. Can't tell you how many earrings I lose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and children gave me diamond studs for Mother's Day one year and I quickly lost one of them...in the shower! Not funny. I think I only had them for a week or two. So the next year my honey took my one diamond stud and had it turned into a necklace for me. Made me cry! (They don't buy me diamonds anymore!!!)

      Delete
  3. Love it! such a cute way to display them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tami! I'm going earring crazy now!

      Delete
  4. Really pretty Sherry also that was my favourite song

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who reminisces about the good old days when I hear Madonna lyrics!

      Delete
  5. Amazing!!!I love it!
    http://freestilcreatingbyvilly.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sherry, I LOVE this! So adorable and now I'll be singing Madonna all night...which is not a bad thing! :) Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea, Sherry. The "dress you up in my love" is such a cute touch. I definitely need better earring/jewelry storage. Here's to being in a magazine one day!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic idea! It really shows off the earrings beautifully. Pinning!

    Thank you for partying with the Wildly Original Crowd.
    <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete